15 Bits of Blogging Advice
Here are 15 basic blogging tips that you didn't ask for...
- Pick a clean template, use lots of juicy images, keep it uncluttered, visually balanced and easy to navigate.
- Photographs look better when shot in natural light.
- Don't compare your blog to others. It will only make you feel badly about yourself. Unless, of course, you go far back into their archives to see how rough their first blog posts looked (see photo example below).
- ...but do study other blogs to see what you like about them; photos, content, layouts etc.
- There is only one you. Be true to yourself allow your originality to be what separates your message from the others.
- Please do not put "musings" "ramblings" or "rantings" in your blog title. Overdone. If you've done that— I was just kidding.
- Content is king! If your blog is full of useful, thoughtful, beautiful or entertaining content you will succeed!
- Experiment in your dashboard, and don't worry about proof-reading because you will only find errors once you've published your post anyway (joke).
- Blog for fun, post consistently, spam your friends and get to know other bloggers.
- Code kills. Just find html to cut and paste and try to get out alive.
- Make it easy for visitors to find content on your site. Show them a taste of what you offer by having featured posts and an intriguing "about me" page.
- Schedule posts ahead of time and keep a big, long list of ideas for upcoming posts (when you're uninspired). Ask your friends what you should write about. After all, they're the ones that have to read it.
- Name all of your images with key search terms that are relevant to your post and use keywords in your post. This way, more people can find you.
- Follow other bloggers, comment and always respond.
- Finally, don't sleep at night— blog instead.
Have any advice for me?