How to Build a Raised Bed (The Blonde Way)
We are going to build a raised garden bed. It's so easy, that even a blonde can do it.
It is going to be 4'x8.' 4 feet so we can easily reach everything in our garden.
- Drill, with a phillips head
- (3) 2x10x8 Boards. One board needs to be cut in half, don't worry, they'll do it for you where you buy your lumber.
- (12) 2 1/2" Coated exterior screws
- (4) Fasteners (they're brace thingies)
- (24) 1" Galvanized roofing nails (because they have big heads)
Lay out your boards in the shape of the bed. Make sure your corner is flush. You can use a mallet to pound it nice and tight.
Good, now repeat for each corner.
STOP! Don't forget that if the 4' board is in the inside (or outside) of the (2) 8' boards then it's going to need to be the same way on the other end too.
A blonde ALWAYS forgets this "tip" and has to unscrew and start again!
Done. Now wasn't that easy?
If your box is 10" deep it's recommended to have 1 square yard soil/compost, which is 27 cubic feet. If you have a little less than that it should be fine. Most people like a 50/50 ratio of soil to compost.